Both Wireless and Corded headsets can be used with Cisco 7940, 7941, 7960, 7961, 7970 IP phones. The trick is to first determine which type of headset (wireless vs. corded) you want to use. Once you have decided which type of headset you will be using the last step is determining the correct accessory(s). Below we have outlined both options.
Wireless Headset Option
Wireless headsets are designed to be compatible with all Cisco phones. Wireless headsets come with a base station that interfaces with your Cisco 7940, 7941, 7960, 7961, 7970 telephone and your handset. This allows you to use both the wireless headset or the handset as needed. If you also wish to answer calls with the headset while roaming your office read the notes below.
1) If you want to roam around the office with your headset you will need the "remote lifter" accessory. This accessories allows you to pickup/hangup directly from the headset. If you do not purchase the "remote lifter" the headset will still work but you will need to manually pickup calls at the telephone prior to using the headset. The Jabra remote lifter is the GN1000 and the Plantronics remote lifter is the HL-10.
2) Newer Cisco phones have added an Electronic Hook switch (EHS) feature to allow for smoother connectivity to wireless headsets. If your phone has EHS built-in see our EHS guide to find the compatible EHS adapter. If your phone has the EHS feature you do NOT need to get the mechanical "remote lifter".
Popular Wireless Headsets for Cisco Phones
Corded Headset Option
If you want to use a wired headset and do NOT need volume or microphone controls you can use the Direct Connect headset. If you are looking for optimum controls, mute, headset volume you'll want to add the GN8210 Adapter to your order. Most Cisco phones have a modular RJ-9 headset jack which allow you to use a Direct Connect headsets. Direct Connect headsets come with a Telephone Interface Cord that allow the headset to plug into the Cisco RJ-9 headset jack. The video below demonstrates how to setup wired headsets with Cisco phones.
Popular Corded Headsets for Cisco Phones
- Jabra 2320 Mono Direct Connect (noise-canceling)
- Jabra 2110-ST Direct Connect
- Plantronics Encore PRO Mono (noise-canceling)
If you have questions about your Cisco phone compatibility and which accessory is required for your phone feel free to start a chat session or call us 703-766-6363. Global Teck Worldwide provides a ProSetup Service that walks you through the complete installation of any headset on our website. All items mentioned in this article are available online for purchasing.